Upcycles are hard for me. I have difficulty seeing a finished product and re-imagining it. It’s much easier for me to picture something from scratch. That being said, it was my daughter who instigated this vanity stool upcycle.
We were shopping at a thrift store; she found it and loved it because it’s a chair her size. This vanity stool was so close the trash can. The frame was rusty brass. And besides being just plain dirty, the cushion was made from white leather had dried and cracked. I almost didn’t get it, but for $6, who could say no? And I’m so glad I did. Here’s the before picture.
This was a really fun project. I got to try my hand at installing piping and also a fabric button. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it all came together. I loved turning this piece of old, used, outdated piece of furniture into something bright and girly. And I know the girls will love it for a long time to come too. I only wish there had been a second stool to match.
After taking the cushion off the frame we had to remove some plastic pieces on the legs. Then I cleaned and sanded the frame. Finally coating it with Berry Pink spray paint from Krylon.
While that was drying, I worked on reupholstering the cushion. Thankfully, the particle board and the foam parts of the cushion were still in good condition. I just needed to cover it with some new fabric.
I used the cushion to trace out the fabric pieces I needed. One circle and one long strip of fabric for the sides.
I wrapped the long strip around the cushion and marked where I need to sew.
After that was sewn together, I pinned it to the circle along with a piece of piping.
To connect the two end of piping, I had to open up one side and cut a small piece of the rope. Then lay the other end of the piping inside and cover it with the fabric from the first end.
Then I sewed as close to the piping as possible.
Once that was done, I could slip it over the cushion and secure the fabric to the particle board bottom of the cushion. I tried using a staple gun to secure it, but that just wasn’t working for me. The staples would NOT go all the way in. Even Hubs had a hard time with it. So, we resorted to Old Trusty – the glue gun. And it worked beautifully.
We also add a second piece of piping to the bottom. Finally we added a fabric button to the center of the cushion. They are really easy to do. You just follow the package directions. I added a ribbon to the bottom of the button, cut a small hole in the cushion fabric and threaded it through with a large needle. And then secured the ribbon to the bottom with hot glue.
Now all that was left was to screw the seat back onto the frame. I LOVE how it turned out! And my girls think it’s the coolest piece of furniture in the house.
Linking up to these link parties.
© 2008 – 2012 Gingerly Made. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.